2/07/2012

Life in Bognor

So its been a few days, and I have been exploring the town and soaking up british culture. I spent a day around town, walking down the beach, seeing the high street, doing some groceries, the regular stuff. I love my town, its really cute and has everything you need. It even has SUBWAY! Went in to it today and had a moment, almost wanted to cry. I loved it, its my home away from home. Im being a little bit too sentimental i think, but it was great. Some things were different, they have quavers, my favorite british chips, and they have some indian style subs, as well as ketchup as a sauce. Uhm, who the hell puts ketchup on a sub... and what sub are they putting that on?! They had another sauce called 'Brown Sauce'... no thank you? There was no hot peppers, just jalapenos, and they had corn pieces as well. It was definitely a british version of my regular work back home. I set up my banking today at Barclays and the guy that set me up was super nice and really friendly, which is comforting that I can go back and speak with him whenever I have an issue. When I went into the grocery store, I bought myself a bottle of Cider, for the canadians reading that, its just old apple cider basically that has now turned to alcohal. To me, it just tastes like sweetened apple flavor beer, its alright, but not my favorite yet. When I purchased it, I was ID'd.. believe it or not! So I handed him my candian drivers licenses, and he had to have 3 people look at it, to make sure it wasn't fake.. Like can you not hear me? I have a very canadian accent, hope this doesn't happen when im at the bar!! Whilst in town, Dad bought me an adorable Pink phone which i absolutely love, and already have contacts?! Sweeet!

Yesterday I spent the day in London with dad, and I met his best man (from his wedding years ago)! He was great, a little outrageous, really funny, good guy. He has his own flat in london, and im so jealous! It has a gorgeous fire place, 2 floors, a huge back yard, and its very old, I think he said its from 1892 or something. I told him if he sells, im buying. Its nice to have more connections as I now have a place to stay whenever I want to go to London, which is just a short hour and a half from where I live now. It was a really good trip with Dad, and we did all your average touristy stuff like taking pictures with big ben, the london eye, standing inside a phone booth and visiting Buckingham Palace.

Today, I did my banking, had my subway fix, then came to Butlins to finally start my new journey. After filling out all of my information and signing the x's, I moved along to get my uniform, the fabulous red coat. We all have to wear last years uniform for the first two weeks, until our new stuff comes in, which is actually really nice! Last years is a long white pleated skirt for girls, a white collared shirt, underneath a bright red blazer. It is very old school and is supposed to mimick the original red coat uniform from back in the first days of Butlins. The new uniform is a pretty little black dress underneath the bright red blazer. Both are very sharp, but different looks. After setting myself up with a uniform, I moved along to see my housing. Most of the staff that work at Butlins, not just the Reds, are housed on resort. We live in rows of old guest accomodations. They are old and beaten down, but livable and unique. I have an open living room and kitchen, which i share with two girls. We are only aloud to have a microwave pretty much, as they don't trust us with much else.. We have two little fridges, a TV and a toaster, which I'm not sure they we are even aloud to have. There are two rough looking red couches, and a small table to eat at. An old tv and some blank, cream colored walls. Three of us share one bathroom, which could definitely use some work. I share a room with another redcoat who just moved in today, her name is Zoe, and as I type this in the living room, shes sleeping already, its about 1 am here and i've just come in from the bar. My other room mate has her own bedroom, and she is in house keeping I believe.. Shes eastern european and has a son.. I don't remember her name, but she seems really nice and quiet. Right now I can hear someone snoring.. I really hope its not my room mate, cause I can't handle that, so I guess we will just have to see in the morning.. hahahaha.

When I got my welcome package I was given 6 free drink coupons to be used in Butlins. Currently we are closed to guests this week and are open on Friday onward for Englands 'half term', I guess this would be the Canadian 'March Break'. When the resort is closed, because there are so many workers living here (about 500), they open the bar for us so we all have a place to go. Its really quite cool, its like our own little village of people that all have something in common, Butlins. I met some other red coats today, and went out to the bar with Tiffany. She is a really nice girl and we had a good night. She introduced me to the people she knew, and I met others as well. Played some pool, had some drinks and called it a night at midnight when they closed. Tomorrow morning is my first day of training with something called 'Road Maps'. I start at 9am tomorrow, so I best be heading to bed now. Hope you all feel updated enough. The next few days will be quite interesting I believe, so stay tuned.

Cheers. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment