11/19/2011

6,529 days

Happy 6,529th day of living to me!! Where has the time gone? At such a young age of 17, i've already lived so many days, done so many things, and met so many people. As my 18th birthday is arriving I've really been thinking about who I am, and what I want to do in my life. How am I going to live every day to the fullest? Currently, I spend my days working, in the past, i've spent my days partying, and in the future I hope to spend my days traveling. I made a bucket list a few years ago, and have already accomplished a handful of the adventures. I don't want to be the type of person that sits in a cubicle everyday, punching numbers, working 9-5 and just getting by with the bills, so that when I turn 60, I can then travel and see the world. No, that is just not me. I am the one, who at 17, is ready to venture out into the big bad world with just a few bucks and a backpack, and explore. When I come home, I can decide what I want to be. I have no interest in growing up, and paying bills. I just want to have fun, and worry about reality and all that good stuff later. Upon graduating highschool I decided that I would definitely not be applying to schools, and that I would be pursuing my dreams of traveling. What helped me get there was an unfortunate situation. From this, I was quickly shown that you never know when everything can end, so follow your dreams now, don't wait.

A little over a year ago, I lost a very close friend of mine to cancer. He was at the young age of 16 at the time. So young. I feel like he didn't have the opportunity to do everything he wanted, or be who he wanted to be. Since he passed, I really took a different turn in my life and from then on, I decided that I would do my best to remind the people i love, that they mean the world.. to thank people for everything they do.. to smile and be positive even when things seem tough.. to give people a second chance, because youll never know when it will be the last time you see that person. From such a tough situation, he made me a better person. People have always said that things happen for a reason, the tough part, is waiting to find out the reason, or never knowing it at all.

From the Broadway musical Rent, the song 525,600 minutes, is a perfect way to think about your life in minutes, or however you want to measure it.
"In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee. In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife. In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life? How about love? How about love? How about love? Measure in love. Seasons of love."

No comments:

Post a Comment